What is liposuction?
It is a process conducted by reliable skin specialists in which excess fat deposits are removed from the specific areas of patients’ bodies to reshape them and make them look slimmer than before by improving the body contour and proportion.
Who is a good candidate for liposuction?
As it is a highly individualized process, so usually a good candidate for liposuction treatment include:
- Adults within 30% of their ideal weight. Primarily adults with elastic skin, firm, and good muscle tone.
- Healthy people who don’t have any severe disease or medical condition
- People who do not smoke
- People who have specific goals in mind for body contouring
- Individuals who have a positive look of physical fitness
Thus, if you are worried about your body shape due to excess fat located anywhere on your body, there is no need to worry about it anymore. Nowadays, you don’t only have to depend on exercise or diet; In fact, having liposuction from a professional dermatologist may be the right and quick solution for you.
What can liposuction treat?
Liposuction may be primarily helpful in removing excess fat from the following main areas:
- Upper arms
- Chin, and many more.
However, in all these regions, liposuction can be done either alone by a skin specialist or with other plastic surgery processes like facelift, tummy tuck, or breast reduction.
What liposuction can’t do?
Liposuction is just a skin treatment for removing excess stubborn fat accumulated at various regions of the body. People often misunderstand it as a weight loss process, but it is not a substitute for proper diet and exercise. In addition, it is neither an obesity treatment nor an effective procedure for cellulite. Moreover, it is not suitable for loose or saggy skin types that primarily appear on the thighs, hips, and buttocks.
What are the steps of a liposuction procedure?
A high-qualified and expert dermatologist usually conducts liposuction in the following way:
Step 1- Anesthesia
First of all, medications are administrated to the patients for their comfort before surgery. These may be of any type, like local anesthesia, general anesthesia, or intravenous sedation. A skin specialist usually administers such medications according to the patient’s bodily needs.
Step 2 –The incision
Secondly, liposuction is done through small, inconspicuous incisions.
Diluted local anesthesia is induced at the first step to reducing trauma and bleeding.
After that, a thin cannula or a hollow tube is inserted through the incisions.
That tube primarily helps loosen excess fat by applying a controlled back and forth motion.
Later, a skilled dermatologist then suctions out the dislodged fat from the body by a surgical vacuum or syringe attached to the cannula.
Step 3: Getting the Results.
Your improved body contour will be apparent once the swelling and fluid retention are commonly experienced.
What should I expect during a consultation for liposuction from professional skin specialists?
During the liposuction consultation with your doctor, you should discuss the following things beforehand:
- Your surgical procedures
- Medical conditions, treatments, and drug allergies
- Current medications, tobacco, alcohol, vitamins, herbal supplements, and drug use
- Previous surgeries, if any, performed
Moreover, your concerned dermatologist will also
- Evaluate your general health status
- Examine any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs of your desired areas
- Discuss your liposuction options with you
- Recommend a course of treatment before and after surgery
- Discuss likely outcomes of liposuction
- Give you information about any risks or potential complications
Typically, you can also ask any questions from your surgeon related to liposuction. We have made a checklist of questions to ask your liposuction surgeon for your ease. That will significantly help you understand the whole process.
To know about what is going to happen to you is very important. Feeling some anxiety is natural; it may be excitement or pro-operative stress for you. Therefore, you should discuss your feelings with your concerned skin specialist without any hesitation.
What results should I expect after liposuction?
- Liposuction results will be long-lasting if you maintain a stable weight and general fitness.
- Moreover, when the swelling and fluid retention commonly experienced following liposuction subside, then your improved body contour will be even much more apparent than ever before.
- It is natural to lose some firmness as your body ages, but mostly your improvement should be relatively permanent.
- Although good results are expected after the surgery, there is no guarantee.
- In some cases, achieving optimal results with a single surgical procedure may not be possible. So sometimes, a few patients may require another surgery session.
- With liposuction, lax skin tone cannot be improved.
- The key to the success of your surgery is in following the recommendations of your surgeon.
- The surgical incisions should not be subjected to excessive force, abrasion or motion, and swelling during the healing procedure. All these can significantly affect the desired results.
- In addition, you should follow the instructions given by a reliable dermatologist.
How much does liposuction cost?
According to the 2020 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of liposuction is 3,637$. That cost does not include charges of operating room facilities, anesthesia, or any related expenses.
Thus, please consult your plastic surgeon or skin specialists before going for this procedure. That is crucial to know about all the expenses and determine your final fee beforehand. Mostly, the surgeon’s fee primarily depends on his experience, geographic location of the clinic, and the type of procedure.
Moreover, insurance plans do not cover liposuction procedures most often, but many plastic surgeons offer patient financing plans for their patients. So, you should be sure about all these matters before going for liposuction.
Furthermore, liposuction costs may also include
- Post-surgery garments
- Prescriptions for medication
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anesthesia fees
- Hospital or surgical facility costs
- Medical tests, and many more.
Always remember when choosing a board-certified skin specialist in your area for liposuction that the plastic surgeon’s experience and your comfort should be your priority, as the final liposuction costs should be worth your body shaping demands.